It is in your hands to create a better world for all who live in it. –Nelson Mandela
On his birthday, July 18th, the Nelson Mandela Foundation invites all of us to celebrate Mandela Day by devoting 67 minutes—one minute for each of Mandela’s 67 years of service to humanity—to helping others. It’s a powerful way to cultivate empathy, love, and compassion.
If you’d like some ideas, here are a sampling of ideas . Visit the Mandela Day for more inspirational actions and to share yours:
- Make a new friend. Get to know someone from a different cultural background. Only through mutual understanding can we rid our communities of intolerance and xenophobia.
- Take a bag full of toys to a local hospital.
- Take younger members of your family or a friend’s family for a walk in the park.
- Learn the story of someone older than you. Too often people forget that the elderly have a wealth of experience and wisdom and, more often than not, an interesting story to tell.
- Organize to clean up your local park, river, beach, street, town square or sports grounds with a few friends.
Let’s celebrate Nelson Mandela’s legacy and our power to change the world one deed, one person, one connection at a time.
What can you do for someone in 67 minutes?